Licensee and Renewal FAQs
- You were ordered into the Professionals Recovery Network (PRN). Telephone number 1.800.888.8776. a. PRN will determine if monitoring is required or not. b. If you sign a contract a memo will be sent to the board office approximately 2 weeks after you sign your contract. c. If the board indicated no further action is required you will receive a clear and active license.
- You were ordered to have a probationary period. a. Probationary report papers will be sent to you within 7 days of the board Office receiving a copy of your Order entitled “Notice of Intent to Approve with Conditions.”
- You were ordered to complete additional Continuing Education (CE) as a condition of licensure
a. You may obtain a list of CE providers by visiting www.cebroker.com . The board office does not keep a list of providers or the classes they offer.
b. You are allowed to complete these courses online unless the board indicated otherwise. These are the most common conditions placed on an initial license. You may have other conditions placed on your license not covered here.
You will receive an official “Notice of Intent to Approve Licensure with Conditions” in approximately 30 to 90 days. Your license will not be released until your board order is filed with the agency clerk’s office. Your license will have a conditional tag until all of the conditions are met. This is not considered discipline. When all of the conditions have been completed you will receive a “Notice of Termination” stating such and your license will be in”Clear and Active” status. If for any reason you do not agree with the ruling of the board you may appeal their decision. You will have 21 days from the date you receive the Notice of Intent to Approve with Conditions to appeal this decision. The instructions are located at the end of your Notice of Intent to Approve with Conditions and must be done in writing. Please read the Notice of Intent to Approve with Conditions carefully when you receive it. Failure to comply with the conditions of your license will result in the immediate suspension of your license and require you to complete a reinstatement application and appear before the board again. Please be sure to update your address with the board office, as the Notice will be sent to the last address on record and will not be forwarded to your new address.
Licensees who wish to voluntarily relinquish their license, and have no pending disciplinary action open against their license, may submit a request in writing to the board.
Licensees can review our Military Status page for what happens at renewal.
No, this option is not available to massage establishments at this time
Licensees who wish to reactivate their Inactive massage therapist license must meet the following requirements:
- Submit a statement to the board requesting reactivation of license with the applicable fee.
- Submit proof of completion of continuing education requirements for each biennium the license was in Inactive status. Click here for a list of CE requirements per biennium.
A licensee who remained on inactive status for more than two consecutive biennial licensure cycles may be required to demonstrate the competency to resume active practice by sitting for a special purpose examination or by completing other reactivation requirements.
Please visit www.CEBroker.com for the application to become a CE provider.
Renewal notices are now sent out as postcards. To expedite your renewal you may renew online. Your ID and Password can also be reset at our Get Login Help page. If your account is locked, the system will automatically unlock your account within 24 hours. If you lose your User ID and password, email Licensure Services. Please include the following information for verification purposes:
- Your first and last name
- Last four digits of your social security number
- Date of birth
- License number Remember, if you wait until the last minute, you may run into long wait times.
I have received a notice for renewal of my massage establishment license; however, I am no longer in business and wish to relinquish the license. How do I notify the board?
Write “Out of Business” across your license or your renewal notice and mail it to the board office.
I am ready to renew my license; however, the co-owner of this establishment is no longer affiliated with the business. May I reflect this change on my renewal notice?
No, any addition to or deletion of owners’ name(s) to or from a massage establishment is considered a change in the ownership of that establishment and you must submit an initial license application to the board office for a new license number to be issued.
No, you must submit a change of location application to the board office in order to change the location of your business. Any address change reflected on your renewal notice will be considered a change in mailing address only.
If you take a course from a Florida Board of Massage Therapy approved Provider, they are required to report on your behalf. If you take a course from a National organization, it is your responsibility to report completion.
Will I have to show proof that I have earned all of my continuing education hours, if I have an active license?
All massage therapists are subject to random audit. If audited, you must submit proof of completion of the required continuing education courses to the board. We recommend you keep your certificates of completion for 4 years.
Renewal postcards are sent at least 90 days before the expiration date. You should renew as soon as possible after receiving your notice. Please allow 1-2 weeks for receipt of your new license. To expedite your renewal you may renew online. If you lose your User ID and password, email Licensure Services. Licensure Services will provide requested User Id and Password within 24 hours of email receipt. Please include the following information for verification purposes:
- Your first and last name
- Last four digits of your social security number
- Date of birth
- License number Your ID and Password can also be reset at our Get Login Help page. If your account is locked, the system will automatically unlock your account within 24 hours.
I have received my renewal notice and have not completed my required continuing education hours. May I mail in my renewal and complete my hours later?
No, you must complete all contact hours before you renew your license. You may face disciplinary action for not completing the mandatory continuing education requirement.
I just took the Prevention of Medical Errors course to get my license. Do I have to take it again to renew it the first time?
Yes. The mandatory 2 hour continuing education course in Prevention of Medical Errors is required upon initial licensure and prior to every renewal thereafter, including the first renewal.
I have completed more continuing education hours for this biennium than was necessary. May I carry the balance over to the next renewal period?
No, all hours must be earned within your renewal period and may not be carried over to the next biennium. Also, CEs taken prior to the issuance of a permanent license cannot be counted towards renewal requirements.
Online renewal does not change your renewal expiration date. You are still required to submit a renewal no later than midnight on the date the license is scheduled to expire
Can I give my credit card information over the phone or by mail to renew my license if I do not want to use my card on the Internet?
No. The e-Renewal web site is a secure site and does not retain complete credit card information after the data is processed.
You will receive a confirmation message following a successful renewal. You are encouraged to print this message for your records.
No. If you receive confirmation of a successful renewal, submission of the renewal application is not necessary.
Why does my computer screen jump back to a previous page after I have already entered the data on the previous page and it does not submit my renewal request?
For Internet Explorer users, the security setting must be set to medium and cookies must be enabled. To set Internet Explorer to medium security follow the instructions below:
- Open Internet Explorer and select ‘Tools’ from the top menu bar.
- Select ‘Internet Options’ from the drop down list.
- Once the ‘Internet Options’ window appears, select the ‘Security’ tab.
- From the ‘Security’ tab window click on/select ‘Medium’.
- To enable cookies, use the same ‘Internet Options’ window and select the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- From the ‘Advanced’ tab window, press the down arrow on your keyboard until the words ‘Always Accept Cookies’ are highlighted and use the scroll bar and click on/select ‘Always Accept Cookies’. Click ‘Apply’ and retry using the e-Renewal system.
If you have any questions about renewing your license, call (850) 488-0595. Our customer service staff is available to assist you Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Eastern Time. (Excluding state holidays)
When you renew your license online, you will receive immediate confirmation that your renewal was received and processed successfully. In addition, online renewal allows you to use American Express, VISA, MasterCard or Discover to pay.
The Renew License link is only activated for practitioners who are in renewal. If you believe your license is in renewal and you do not have access to the online renewal system, please email the Department at MQALicensureServices@flhealth.gov or call (850) 488-0595. Our Licensure Support Services staff is available to assist you Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Eastern Time
The department will mail a renewal notification to your last known address at least 90 days prior to the expiration of your license. Your license also indicates the date it will expire.
The e-Renewal system will not allow you to change your status online. If you need to change your license status, you will be required to mail your renewal application and fee to the department for processing.
There are many reasons why credit card information may not be accepted. Some suggestions for checking credit card data input are listed below. If you find that all data is complete and correct, but the card is still not accepted, try a different card.
- Be sure that you do not use any hyphens, “-“, underlines, “_”, or spaces when you type your credit card number.
- Do not type text in the space provided for your credit card type, be sure that you click on/select your credit card type from the drop down list of acceptable credit cards.
- Be sure to state the credit card expiration date correctly, with the slash and without spaces. An example of a month, year expiration would be: 09/03.
- There is no comparison between the name on your license and the credit card name. When typing the name on the credit card, be sure that you type it just as it appears on the card that was used to complete the other credit card information.
- Be sure that all credit card data fields are completed.
Yes. After you have successfully logged in, you can modify your account id by selecting Update Login located on the side navigational menu.
Yes. After you have successfully logged in, you can modify your password by selecting Update Login located on the side navigational menu.
Please note that Account Id and Password are case-sensitive. You must enter the values exactly as they were provided. Use the “Shift” key to capitalize letters, not the “Caps Lock” key.
At the following address:
Department of Health
MQA Agency Clerk’s Office
4052 Bald Cypress Way
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3251
Effective September 1, 2013, licensed massage therapists must attach to the displayed license a 2 by 2 inch photograph of the individual whose name appears on the certificate. The photograph must have been taken within the previous two years.