Massage Therapy FAQs

Massage Therapy FAQs

Expand allClose all

How do I submit and pay the application fee using an Other Payer Code?

Applicants applying for licensure as a Licensed Massage Therapist by Examination, must obtain the other payer code from their massage program. This code can be used on the application as a payment option.

How do I request a declaratory statement or variance and waiver of a board rule?

Information on the requirements and how to file a Declaratory Statement can be found online on the Declaratory Statements page. Please note, a variance or waiver can only be granted for Rules in the Florida Administrative Codes, not for Florida Statutes.

How do I find an approved colonic irrigation education program?

Approved colonic irrigation programs are listed on the board’s approved school list.

Approved Programs →

Approved Programs (Excel)

How do I add the colonic irrigation specialization to my license?

You must hold a Florida massage therapist license and complete an approved colonic apprentice program or complete a course of study at an approved school. Applicants must complete the application and submit to the board office.

What should I do if my name changes after I apply, but before I am licensed?

Please submit a written request to the board office which includes your full name, as it appears on your application; the profession you are applying for; your file number; your new name; your date of birth; and your signature.

Your signed request can be mailed to:

Florida Board of Massage Therapy
4052 Bald Cypress Way
Bin C-06
Tallahassee, FL 32399-3256

How can my Florida massage program pay for my licensure application?

Instead of the student providing their own credit card for payment when completing the online registration application, they will have the option to enter the “€˜Other Payer Code”€™ to complete the application process. The application will be uploaded for processing and will stay in pending status until the massage program makes the payment. Interested massage programs will need to register with the Florida Board of Massage Therapy as an Other Payer and receive an Other Payer Code.

Can I endorse into Florida if I have an active license in another state but have never taken the NCBTMB or MBLEx exam?

No, applicants by endorsement are not eligible unless their licensure in another state required the passage of one of these board approved exams.

Who is responsible for requesting verification of my licenses? Does the board request it or do I?

You as the applicant are responsible for requesting licensure verification. The license verification form included in the application is intended to be mailed to other state licensing boards. Applicants seeking verifications/certifications from U.S. states or territories should complete Part I of the form and submit the form to the appropriate state or territory for completion. Check with the appropriate board to see if they charge a fee for this service.

What is endorsement; is it the same as reciprocity?

Endorsement is using your active license in another state, or board approved exam scores, to obtain a license in Florida. It is not the same as reciprocity. Reciprocity indicates Florida honors other state licenses and you would be allowed to work in Florida without obtaining a Florida license. Currently Florida law does not allow massage therapists to work in Florida without a Florida license.

Can I change my application from examination to endorsement or from endorsement to examination?

Yes, but you must request a change in the status of the application in writing to the board office. The request for the change will not be granted if the application has already been approved.

What should I do if I fail the examination?

You will need to reapply to sit for the exam. For more information regarding requirements to sit for the above listed exams or to schedule an exam, please contact the testing centers directly.

The NCBTMB can be reached at 1- 800-296-0664 or

The FSMTB can be reached at 1-866-962-3926 or

How often is the NCBTMB or MBLEx exam given?

Both the NCBTMB and MBLEx exams are offered through Computer Based Testing which is available six (6) days per week, excluding Sunday. For more information regarding requirements to sit for the above listed exams or to schedule an exam, please contact the testing centers directly. The NCBTMB can be reached at 1- 800-296-0664 or The FSMTB can be reached at 1-866-962-3926 or

How long do I have after I graduate to take the NCBTMB or MBLEx examination?

There is no time limit for you to apply to take the examination.

Where can I take the NCBTMB or MBLEx examination?

NCBTMB and MBLEx testing takes place at Pearson VUE centers. Pearson VUE will provide you with information about the available test centers. You may schedule an appointment for any center. You do not have to take the NCBTMB or MBLEx in the same jurisdiction in which you are seeking licensure.

How can I review the status of my application?

You may check the status of your application in real time via our Online Services, using your User ID and password. If you lose your User ID and password, email Licensure Services. Licensure Services will provide requested User Id and Password within 24 hours of email receipt. Please include the following information for verification purposes:

  • Your first and last name
  • Last four digits of your social security number
  • Date of birth
  • Profession
  • License number If your account is locked, the system will automatically unlock your account within 24 hours.

Can massage therapists provide body wrapping services?

Yes, a licensee under Chapter 480, F.S., has always been able to provide body wrapping services. A person does not have to be a licensed massage therapist to perform body wraps. However, they are required to take a twelve (12) hour course and then register as a body wrapper under the Board of Cosmetology. A registered body wrapper will only be able to use pre-soaked wrap material and will not be allowed to apply oils or creams directly on the body. Unlike licensed massage therapists who are able to use their bare hands when applying oils and creams on their clients.

How can I find out about requesting an exemption?

Licensees employed or seeking employment with a health care facility licensed by the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) may find information regarding exemptions on AHCA’s Exemption from Disqualification page.